Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 02, 2010

GIVE ME SOME CHOCOLATE!!!

Usually, the person who craves chocolate in this house is not me. I like my sweets, obviously, but I don't often need chocolate the way some people do. Tonight, however, was a totally different story...

Call it hormones, call it stress but I felt as though the world was utter crap since there wasn't a crumb of chocolate anything anywhere in this place. Not so much as a hidden snickers in the fridge that I reserve for such moments as this when, like Harry Potter, I can't fight off the dementors and chocolate is the secret to reviving my soul. Yeah, it's been that kind of a week....

Worse yet, I really don't have a lot of "fun stuff" to work with....no cocoa nibs, no espresso powder, no toffee bits or peanut butter chips or marshmallows so every recipe I came across just exacerbated my feelings of woe and selfpity. Until I found this one...

Ramp up your oven to 350, SallySue, we're baking some chocolate chunk banana brownies...

In a mixer bowl, beat together
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
2 large very ripe bananas (lucky I saved some in the freezer)

Beat this until it's smooth, like this:





In a separate bowl, stir together
1 cup ap flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Now pour that into the mixer and blend until most of the dry is incorporated into the wet before adding 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips (you may also want to add a cup of chopped nuts if you have them but mine were busy watching tv).




Scrape this into a 9x13 baking dish that you have greased and plop it into the oven for 20-25 minutes. Don't wait for it to seem all dry in the center or you will over-bake it. Just let it set up enough that it is dry on the top and seems "firm-ish" (yeah, real descriptive, I know).  Now, let it cool.

Once it is cool, you can dust it with powdered sugar or ice it with a buttercream. I seriously thought about whipping up some peanut butter buttercream (replace half your butter or shortening with pb) for a full-on Elvis pig out but they didn't make it that far....BECAUSE I WANT SOME DAMNED CHOCOLATE ALREADY!!!

1 comment:

Mother B said...

Must have been something in the air....Dad went to mail something at the post office and asked if I wanted anything at the store.....I said I really wanted something with chocolate but candy bars are definitely out of the question....he got one anyways and I ate the whole thing. I'm sated but my cholesterol and sugar count are another thing to reckon with. I'll do better tomorrow....after all tomorrow is another day....sheesh!