Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Reuse and Repurpose: Baby Food Jars


Now that I have a FIRST GRADER (no, no, she can't be that old yet!) home for the summer, it is pretty important to have all kinds of fun things for her to occupy her time with. And now that Baby Girl is all about strained peas, I have quite a few of those super-cute baby food jars now. I don't know why I can't just bring myself to throw them out, but I can't. Cute little packages are a weakness of mine (like black pens and legal pads). So when I came across this simple little recipe for finger paints, I knew I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.




This recipe made 6 2.5 oz. jars of paint. It also doubles very easily.

2 cups water
1/2 cup cornstarch
food coloring (you can use the liquid drops or, if like me, you have the gel tints for coloring buttercream from wilton, they work great and you have more variety of color)

Add the water to a saucepan and whisk in the cornstarch. Keep whisking as the water comes to a boil and thickens. Bring to a boil, whisking the whole time to avoid lumps.





Now, separate the gel into as many bowls as you have colors and tint away with a toothpick or with the dropper. Stir in while the gel is still hot. Let cool and stir before filling whatever containers you are choosing to use (anything with an airtight lid is great).


















TA-DA!! I love this recipe already--it's totally kid safe if they decide the blue MUST taste like blueberries. You'll naturally have some stained fingers but it comes right out with a little soap and water.










Mr. Devlin even got in the action...can you tell which one is his? He's a bit annoying sometimes with how good he is at, well, almost everything.

6 comments:

Mother B said...

That is so freakin' cool!! Now I suppose you are going to come up with a "how to" for sidewalk chalk. Let's see ......go to the white cliffs of Dover. (Take a pick). Seriously....this is really, really neat!!! I like this a ton!

Mrs. V said...

M, I DO have a sidewalk chalk recipe to try out hahahaha-so much for that suprise

ash said...

omg! that is such a great idea!!!!
holy crap-you've come a long way from making blue-food-colored chunky peanut butter sandwiches!!!

leeloo said...

i so need to do this for when the boys are here. guess i better start eating lots of baby food. i always did like the bananas....

Anonymous said...

I just finished making some of this paint with my daughter and it turned out to be too much of a gel what did I do wrong?

Mrs. V said...

Sounds like it needs a little more water....sometimes the cornstarch and water get "tight" and it can be thinned down by stirring in a little water at a time to the consistency you like. The paints ARE on the thicker side anyways so you didn't do anything wrong :)