Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Irish Through and Through

Living in the South, you start to believe that you have to have biscuits with every meal (and my ass looks it) but, honestly, I don't like my biscuits. I'm sure I could work on that, you know, when I'm not breast feeding or trying to seem attentive to hubby (heretofore referred to as "Mr. Devilin") but right now, I'm using an adapted Irish soda bread recipe to fill that gap.

Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 casserole dish (you could put these on a cookie sheet but they are kinda wet and will spread out, not up).

In a big bowl:
4 cups all purpose (AP) flour
3 tbs sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt (kosher, please)
3/4 tsp baking soda
6 tbs cold shortening (marg will work in a pinch but really you should throw that crap out)
1 egg
1 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (this is a great way to use up that milk in the back of the fridge that seems a little funny-just hit it with a splash of lemon juice)
** you can also use the buttermilk powder in this--add the dry powder to the flour mix and add the water for the milk

Mix all the dry ingredients together, then cut in the shortening with a fork or pastry blender (don't buy those things--they give you weird callouses). Make a little well in the mix and add in the egg. Next, stir in the milk (or water) with a rubber spatula and mix JUST until everything comes together and there aren't any major pockets of flour.

With a icecream scoop (I use a yellow handled baby--cant remember the ounces) scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. You want them golden on top but not dried out so test with a toothpick (you bought a cake tester??? silly girl) after 15 minutes.

You could let these cool but, seriously, you'd be missing them at their best.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I love me some biscuits!!! (and your ass DOES NOT look it) How about a recipe for homemade sausage gravy??? I buy mine at Walmart and it's good, but homemade is better??

Mrs. V said...

I can help you there (although the package stuff IS easy) I find the trick is using Wonderflour--it's in a blue canister (kinda like parmesan cheese). It prevents clumps so I use it in all my gravies and sauces.

CurseO'Th'Crows said...

Devilin? Hahahahaha.

Mother B said...

I am leaving a comment that I found your post interesting....interesting that you did not like your biscuit recipe. If you're really serious, I'll send you mine. That pie in the picture looks pretty darn good!!

Mrs. V said...

400 cookbooks in this joint and none of the biscuits taste like yours! :) ....maybe because I'm making them one-handed? Hahaha
that's an apple pie, btw, and it didn't last 12hours

ash said...

i always loved when you made this soda bread....oooh with the shepherd's pie! nice!

i do believe that anyone's biscuits are better than pook's....i'll have to ask his girls if they've learned to use the ceiling fan properly!

Mrs. V said...

Pook's biscuits have a unique place, don't they? I think its because they will never decay or soften, for that matter.
I've been making a lot of beef veggie soup this winter and these biscuits go nicely