Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Make Life a Little Sweeter With Chocolate Sauce

In preparing for a little dinner party the other night, I realized I was minus some chocolate sauce for the dessert. I know, I know, how many times a week do you find yourself saying that? (wee bit of sarcasm there, kids).

Adding one more thing to the grocery list that Mr. Devlin was already graciously taking care of just wasn't an option, so I dug around in my books and came across an easy little number that was perfect.

Besides the fact that it's super crazy easy, it's adaptable (score!) so don't be afraid to adjust this to suit your needs. You can make it thicker or thinner just by adjusting the amount of chocolate....or adjust the kind of chocolate--semi sweet, milk or dark--for a bit of glam on your next cake, crepe or ice cream sundae. 

And did I mention it's easy?

Ok, enough jibberjabber; it's not like I think I have to sell you on chocolate, right?

In a heat proof bowl set over a saucepan of water ( otherwise known as a  bain marie or water bath), add
6 oz (1 cup) of chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
6 fl oz (3/4 cup) water (I know! water with chocolate???....it's okay, it won't seize)
4 oz (1/2 cup) sugar (less if you are using milk or semisweet chocolate)
2 oz (1/2 stick) butter, diced a bit
1 tsp vanilla (or mint or rum or whiskey or frambroise et al)

Over a medium heat, slowly stir together the ingredients until all is melted. (TA-DA!!...broke a sweat there, didn't you?). 

Now, if you want a thicker sauce, just add more chocolate. 
As is, this sauce will stay liquid when cooled so you can put it in a squeeze bottle if you want. If you desire a more substantial sauce, add up to 2 cups of chocolate. If it gets too thick, you can always thin it with a bit of cream.
Also, remember that when it cools, it will thicken a bit, so if you've chilled it and it's the consistency of soft ganache, just heat it 15 seconds at a time in the microwave, stirring each time.

Sauce away, my little darlings....

No comments: